advisable to drive the Ceres route and not the
Citrusdal/Clanwilliam route. The gravel road is 10 km
shorter and in a better condition.
Cape Town to Nuwerust Rest Camp is 245km.
- Take the N1 north. Take the R44 to Ceres.
Please ensure that you have sufficient petrol before
leaving Ceres. (Cell-phones will only work until you
reach the small town Op Die Berg.)
- When you enter Ceres turn left at the second robot
towards Prince Alfreds' Hamlet. (R303)
- Drive through Prince Alfreds' Hamlet (beware of speed
traps in Ceres and Prince Alfred).
- Drive over the Gydo Pass. Keep driving until you reach
the little town of Op Die Berg.
- Op Die Berg is 20 km from the top of Gydo Pass. Do
not take the right turn to Touwsriver on the way
to Op Die Berg.
- 200m Past Op Die Berg is a sign that says Cederberg/
Ceres Karoo. Turn right.
- Follow the tar road for aprrox. 18km.
- At the end of the
tar road keep going straight onto the gravel road.
Nuwerust is 45km from the beginning of the gravel road.
- Farms along the way that you will pass are Sneeukop,
Luiperds Kloof, Zonderwater and Mount Ceder. When you
reach Mount Ceder you will see a mountain pass in front
of you drive over the pass.
- At the bottom of the pass is
a signboard that says Cederberg Camping and Hiking,
Nuwerust Rest Camp. Turn right and follow the gravel
road 100 meters to gate. Drive through the second
gate and park at the office sign board.
Citrusdal/ Clanwilliam Route:
- Take the N7.
- 32km Past Citrusdal is the sign Algeria/
- Turn right onto the gravel road and follow
the Ceres signboards.
- Farms you will pass along the way are Algeria, Driehoek, Sanddrift, Cederberg Tourism Park and Matjies river. Matjies river is at the T- junction.
- After 56km you will reach a
T-junction that says Wupperthal/Ceres. Do not turn
- Turn right towards Ceres and follow the gravel
road for 8km. You will reach a sign that says Cederberg Camping and Hiking,
Nuwerust Rest Camp turn left
and follow the gravel road 100 meters to gate.
S 32° 33’ 42.1”
E 19° 22’ 41.1”
"Fill petrol before entring the Cederberg as the closest Petrol station is Op-Die-Berg closed on Sunday then the closest will be Ceres on the way to cape town"
Click on the pictures to access the galleries